I Can See Clearly Now…

Yes, I can see clearly now, the lamp is gone.  Do I have you singing that song?  I’m humming it in my head.  But in all seriousness, I really can see now.  Wanna know why?  Because this weekend we got most of the lighting installed in our master bathroom.  Yes, we’ve lived here for over a month and we’re just now getting to it.  Better late than never, right?!

So, two Saturdays ago, J.C. spent about 3 or so hours in the attic, where it was really hot (covered in insulation) and got the job done.  He installed the two pendant lights over the vanity/sink area and the recessed light/ventilation fan in the middle of the room.  I’ll just give you a play by play of how things went down… well… up 🙂

First off we had to measure and make some pencil marks on where we wanted everything to go.  I have heard or read that lights should stick out 8 inches from the wall, like hanging pendants.  Or maybe I just made that up?!  Who knows… but we went with it anyways.  Then we measure 12 inches out from the glass on the mirror on each side and marked our “spots” on the ceiling like so:

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

X (or in this case a cross) marks the spot.  This just allowed us to cut a whole into the ceiling in just the right spot.  While J.C. was still on ground level, we went ahead and marked where the recessed light/ventilation fan would need to go.  It has a round piece that needed to sit flush with the ceiling, meaning the hole would  be significantly bigger.  The light manufacturer actually sent a template to use, which made things really easy.

In case you are wondering where we placed the recessed light, it is in the smack middle of the room.  It puts off lots of light and that made the most since.  To get our measurements, we measured the room (length x width) and halved those numbers.  That point was where the middle of our hole needed to be.  Hope that makes a little sense!

After we had our spots marked, it was time to cut out the sheetrock.  Here are a few pictures of J.C. cutting and the eventual holes.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

For the pendant lights he just had to pull the wires through from the attack.  Well, I actually pulled them through when he pushed them down.  You get the idea, right?  And for the recessed light/ventilation fan?  It was a bit more tricky.  I don’t have a picture of it but the fan has a motor and all, which makes the part that’s in the attic much bigger than it appears in the room.  So, J.C. had to end up removing some boards and he was very cramped and I don’t think it was a super fun part of the project… like at all.  And if you know what’s good for ya, you won’t ask him about it.  Okay?!  🙂

So next up he dropped the recessed light/vent fan in the whole and wired it all up.  And while he was up there, he reconnected some wires that we abandoned when the contractors were doing their work.  Remember when our bathroom used to look like this?

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Those old closets had a pull string light in each side.  J.C. mentioned that a pull string light is always “hot” in terms of electricity.  For some reason that I don’t understand, because my knowledge of electrical is very little, those pull string lights were connected to the plug-ins in the master bedroom.  When we had to abandon them temporarily, the plug-ins didn’t work.  So, when J.C. hooked the old lights back up, the plug-ins worked.  Yay!

To make a long story short, this is what the lighting looks like now…

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Ok… some observations.  Yes, I was wearing my robe in these pictures.  Secondly, the lighting in the pics is bad.  Oh well!  Third, the recessed light/vent fan has three small holes around it now.  That’s where J.C. had to remove some of those boards I mentioned earlier.  When he removed them, the screws/tacks came out too and left some little blemishes.  It isn’t anything I can’t fix with a little spackle and touch up paint.  And lastly, I cleaned up around the light/vent with a Magic Eraser and you can see some weird smears.  I guess I’ll have to get back up there when I spackle and clean it up.  Oh and one more thing, we need to put the air vent in.

We are SUPER excited to have lighting in our bathroom.  And do you want to know what’s so funny?  We lived in the house for a month with no overhead lighting in the bathroom.  We had to use a lamp.  Every time we walked into the bathroom we tried to flip a light switch to turn a light on that didn’t exist.  Then when no overhead lighting came on, we’d reach for the lamp and turn it on instead.  Now that we actually have working lights, we are still reaching for that lamp.  Humans… such creature of habits.

Anyways, this post has gotten long and drawn out so I need to let you guys go… so you can go get something done!  I’m just so proud that we got one of our February Hopes crossed off of our virtual list.  WooHoo!!!  How about a little air high five?!

P.S.  Thanks for the votes on the Feeling Ansty post on Friday.  Just in case you were wondering, most of you said that we should paint the fireplace in Sealskin.  I’ll let you know what we decide.  And by the way, J.C. is on board and said painting the fireplace is a wonderful idea!!!

 

 

 

 

2 thoughts on “I Can See Clearly Now…

  1. Pingback: February Hopes Update | R SQUARED INTERIORS

  2. Pingback: May Hopes | R SQUARED INTERIORS

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s