I thought I might share a little more about myself today. For those of you that don’t know me, it might be interesting. If you already know me, none of this will be a suprise… I dont’ think anyways. Well, I’ll just cut to the chase and get started.
8 Things About Me Personally:
1. I used to be VERY shy… like it hurt to smile because I was so shy. No need to worry. I’m not shy anymore. Well, not like I used to be. I still tend to be a bit of an introvert in a huge crowd of people I don’t know, but I eventually open up. Here I am as a kid.
2. I got married to my High School Sweetheart at the tender age of 18. I had people tell me good luck and others tell me “you’ll never make it.” #howrude Anyways, almost 7 years later I am still madly in love with him. We sometimes say, “I love your more than yesterday but not as much as tomorrow.” Our first picture together…
3. I don’t touch public toilets. Not in any way, shape, form, or fashion. One word. GROSS.
4. I really enjoy organizing. I always have and probably always will. My grandmother used to kidnap me for a few days to organize all of her drawers, cabinets, closets, etc. I loved doing that as a little girl. She would give me the “stuff” that she was going to throw away, like lipstick that she didn’t like or a necklace that was out of style. Everytime I organized her house, I felt like I had hit the jackpot baby!
5. I’ve had a job since I was 12 years old. I’ve packed tomatoes, waited tables, sold Mary Kay cosmetics (still do that), worked as an office assistant at a financial firm, and now work as Marketing Director at a credit union. I like to work. It’s good for ya!
6. I absolutely love kids and dogs. We’ve worked in Sunday School since we got married and I just love to give those babies lovin. I feel the same way about dogs.
7. I have two earrings in one ear and one earring in the other. And I’m not talking about one at the top either. It’s just my way of being a little quirky. I very casually mentioned one time to J.C. that I would love to have a diamond for my second hole on my right side. I walked to the truck when we got out of the mall and there was a little bag sitting in my seat with a pair of diamond earrings in it. He’s a keeper, ya’ll! I’m still not sure how he pulled that off. Sneaky, sneaky. I wear that diamond earring in my second hole at all times.
8. I hate uncooked onions, uncooked tomatoes, and any kind of cucumber. I love coke and sweat tea, but don’t drink them too often. I have to restrain myself 🙂
Well, did you learn anything new? Was any of that interesting? I hope so.
8 Things About My Design Personality:
1. I say “break the rules.” Yes, rules are meant to be followed; however, if you like something, just go with it. After all, it’s your house and you have to live in it. If you like it, use it!
2. My style is sort of eclectic. I like a mix of everthing. Old and new. White and black. Classic and transitional. Rustic and chic. Look at this room. There’s old, new, painted wood floors, funky furniture, dark walls, bright colors, and so on and so forth. To me, it’s pretty fab. It looks like a place that’s been lived in.
This next one… stained glass (older), striped rug (contemporary), ceiling medallion (classic and classy), exposed light bulb chandelier (industrial), GORGEOUS MANTLE (very old and antiquey).
3. I’m not a huge fan of chevron in the home. I did have two of these ottomans (below) in our previous but I knew that if I ended up not liking them down the road, they were only a $30 investment. I could always cover them… or just give them to someone else who needed or liked them. We actually lost them when the house burned, so I don’t have to worry about any of that anymore.
4. I may or may not have a throw pillow problem. Does that just come with the DIY and design and blogger territory? I dont’ know how many bloggers have confessed to this, but it’s a bunch. I’m just as guilty. I could purchase a new pillow every time I went shopping. I’d have a pillow warehouse if I didn’t control myself.
5. HUGE fan of mixing metals. I don’t like to use the same finish on hardware, lighting, etc. throughout the whole house. To me, that’s just boring. To others, it makes sense. Everyone can have their own opinion. That’s just fine with me. I mentioned in this post about our kitchen that I would definitely be mixing metals in our home. Plus, trying to make EVERYTHING match can become a huge pain in the rear. This picture says it all. There are glass knobs, oil rubbed bronze/black light fixtures and chrome/silver faucet and handles… yet it still looks great!
6. I’m not big on patterned curtains… at least not heavy/bold patterns. Don’t get me wrong, I do like patterned curtains, just not in OUR home. Curtains are a very big and most of the time expensive investment. I would rather go with something neutral or very little pattern. That way, they can remain timeless and go with more things in our spaces. This isn’t my style…
I mean, I love this room and especially the chandeliers, but I would have gone with more subtle curtains. This next pic is more my style…
7. Visuals are key for me! I need to plan my space out visually before I start any work. 99.999% of the time I create a moodboard for a space. It normally evolves and changes a bit; however, that gives me a chance to see what will and will not work together. It consists of ordering fabric swatches, finding inspiration pictures, buying samples of tile or flooring, etc. Sometimes I need to study something or get used to it before I make a purchase. Here’s one of the mood boards I’ve shared with you guys.
8. Just about the only style of design that I don’t like is ultra modern. To me, it feels very cold and sterile… kind of like a doctor’s office. When I think of a doctor’s office, I think of that weird smell. Do you know which one I’m talking about? Yeah, so you don’t have to worry about seeing any ultra modern furniture, fixtures, etc. used in our house. Neither of us are fans.
Well folks, I hope you enjoyed learning a little more about me. Do we have any similarities or are we totally different? It truly takes all kinds of kinds. Leave me a comment below to tell me what you learned about me today.